MP CM welcomes SC verdict to shift Gir lions
Bhopal: Welcoming the Supreme Court`s decision to shift Asiatic lions from Gujarat to Palpur Kuno wildlife sanctuary in Madhya Pradesh, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said here on Monday that the move would not only result in creation of a new home for the lions but also ensure a rise in their numbers.
"Madhya Pradesh has made adequate arrangements to shift and rehabilitate Asiatic lions and took all steps for their conservation. I hope that the new home will result in enhancement of their population in the country, Chouhan said.
The state has made all possible arrangements to provide a natural environment to the lions in the Palpur Kuno wildlife sanctuary in Sheopur district of Madhya Pradesh. The government has requested the Centre to shift some of these lions to Palpur Kuno in order to create a second home for these species which is on the verge of extinction.
While granting permission to shift Asiatic Lions from Gujarat to Madhya Pradesh, the Supreme Court bench of Justice S Radhakrishnan and Justice Chandra Mouli Kumar Prasad ruled that these species is on the verge of extinction and they needed a second home in the country. Gujarat has over 400 Asiatic lions in the Gir forest sanctuary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray