MP CM welcomes SC verdict to shift Gir lions
Bhopal: Welcoming the Supreme Court`s decision to shift Asiatic lions from Gujarat to Palpur Kuno wildlife sanctuary in Madhya Pradesh, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said here on Monday that the move would not only result in creation of a new home for the lions but also ensure a rise in their numbers.
"Madhya Pradesh has made adequate arrangements to shift and rehabilitate Asiatic lions and took all steps for their conservation. I hope that the new home will result in enhancement of their population in the country, Chouhan said.
The state has made all possible arrangements to provide a natural environment to the lions in the Palpur Kuno wildlife sanctuary in Sheopur district of Madhya Pradesh. The government has requested the Centre to shift some of these lions to Palpur Kuno in order to create a second home for these species which is on the verge of extinction.
While granting permission to shift Asiatic Lions from Gujarat to Madhya Pradesh, the Supreme Court bench of Justice S Radhakrishnan and Justice Chandra Mouli Kumar Prasad ruled that these species is on the verge of extinction and they needed a second home in the country. Gujarat has over 400 Asiatic lions in the Gir forest sanctuary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!