Ocean temperature patterns key to climate change
Washington: An analysis of past oceanic temperature patterns has uncovered the role of sensitive triggers built into our climate system that can cause abrupt shifts in global climate.
"Evidence is mounting that the Earth`s climate system has sensitive triggers that can cause abrupt and dramatic shifts in global climate," said geological oceanographer Matthew Schmidt from Texas A&M University.
He points out that if ocean temperatures were to warm along the west coast of Africa, the monsoon rainfall in that region would be dramatically reduced, affecting millions of people living in sub-Saharan Africa, the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences reports.
He also adds that the southward flow of ocean heat during cold periods in the North Atlantic also causes the band of rainfall in the tropics known as the Intertropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ) to migrate southward, resulting in much drier conditions in northern South American countries and a wetter South Atlantic.
The ITCZ, known by sailors as the doldrums, is the area encircling the earth near the equator where winds originating in the northern and southern hemispheres come together, according to a Texas statement.
Schmidt and two of his graduate students teamed up with Ping Chang, physical oceanographer and climate modeler, to help uncover an important climate connection between the tropics and North Atlantic.
They used geochemical clues in fossils of tiny sea creatures with a hard shell, collected from a sediment core located off the northern coast of Venezuela to generate a 22,000-year record of past ocean temperature and salinity changes in the upper 1,500 feet of water in the western tropical Atlantic, according to a Texas statement.
"What we found was that subsurface temperatures in the western tropical Atlantic rapidly warmed during cold periods in the Earth`s past. When the tropics warmed, it altered climate patterns around the globe," Schmidt explains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video