President Mukherjee supports sparrow conservation
Mumbai: Nature Forever Society (NFS), which works for the conservation of house sparrows, said Monday that President Pranab Mukherjee supports the cause.
NFS founder Mohammed Dilawar said that Mukherjee had invited society representatives to understand their work on conservation of house sparrows.
"NFS representatives also explained to the president how the Common Bird Monitoring of India programme is helping in collecting vital statistical data on the population of house sparrows and other common birds across the Indian subcontinent," Dilawar said.
"It is the only citizens` science project in the country to monitor the common birds of the nation. It is mainly aimed at involving communities into the bird conservation movement of India," he added.
Dilawar also briefed Mukherjee about the World Sparrow Day (celebrated March 20) and how it was initiated in 2010 by Nature Forever Society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional