Rare vampire skeleton discovered in Britain
London: A 1400-year-old vampire skeleton with metal spikes through its shoulders, heart and ankles, has been discovered in Britain, a new report has claimed.
The skeleton dating from 550-700 AD found buried in the ancient minster town of Southwell, Nottinghamshire has shed light on rare `vampire` burials in Britain.
Long dismissed as myth and legend, the vampire is associated with spooky stories.
It is believed to be a "deviant burial", where people considered the `dangerous dead`, such as vampires, were interred to prevent them rising from their graves to plague the living.
Only a handful of such burials have been unearthed in the UK till now.
The discovery is detailed in a new report by Matthew Beresford, of Southwell Archaeology.
The skeleton was found by archaeologist Charles Daniels during the original investigation of the site in Church Street, which revealed Roman remains.
Beresford said when Daniels found the skeleton he jokingly checked for fangs.
"Throughout the Anglo-Saxon period the punishment of being buried in water-logged ground, face down, decapitated, staked or otherwise was reserved for thieves, murderers or traitors or later for those deviants who did not conform to societies rules: adulterers, disrupters of the peace, the unpious or oath breaker," said Beresford.
> "Which of these the Southwell deviant was we will never know," he said.
Beresford believes the remains may still be buried on the site where they originally lay because Daniels was unable to remove the body from the ground.
John Lock, chairman of Southwell Archaeology, said the body was one of a handful of such burials to be found in the UK.
"A lot of people are interested in it but quite where it takes us I don`t know because this was found in the 1950s and now we don`t know where the remains are," Lock said.
The discovery comes five months after archaeologists found remains from a third grave in central Bulgaria linked to the practise, the report said.
The skeleton was tied to the ground with four iron clamps, while burning ambers were placed on top of his grave.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged