Rhino fossil found preserved in volcanic eruption
Paris: Researchers have identified the skull of a rhino that perished in a volcanic eruption about 9.2 million years ago, making it a rare find as less than two percent of such fossils are preserved.
The fossil, found in Turkey, is thought to be that of a large two-horned rhino common in the eastern Mediterranean region during that period, according to researchers led by Pierre-Olivier Antoine and colleagues from the University of Montpellier, France.
The researchers said that unusual features of the preserved skull suggest that the animal was "cooked to death" at temperatures that may have approached 500 degrees Celsius, in a volcanic flow similar to that of the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in Italy in 79 A.D, the journal Public Library of Science ONE reports.
The rhino`s grisly death was near-instantaneous, and followed by severe dehydration in the extreme heat of the eruption. "The body was baked under a temperature approximating 400 degrees Celsius, then dismembered within the pyroclastic flow, and the skull separated from body," the researchers said.
The flow of volcanic ash then moved the skull about 30 km north of the eruption site, where it was discovered by the four member research team, according to a Montpellier statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof