Seals tend to sleep as they sink in the sea
Washington: In a new research, scientists have found that seals can sleep as they are sinking in the sea.
When northern elephant seals migrate between their breeding and foraging grounds, they spend as long as eight months at a time at sea.
They`re almost always underwater, devoting only a few minutes to breathing at the surface between dives-hardly long enough for a nap.
After a sip of air, they often sink quickly to 500 feet, then drift farther down in a shallow descent.
Some experts have suggested that the drift is when the seals catch their Zs.
To find out, a team led by Yoko Mitani of Hokkaido University in Japan fitted six juvenile elephant seals with satellite transmitters and newfangled data loggers capable of recording such information as body position, flipper strokes, and the 3-D path of movement.
They tracked the seals for up to eight days off the California coast.
The resulting data revealed that drifting seals usually rolled over on their backs, stopped stroking, and spiraled peacefully down for a dozen minutes or so.
The belly-up position is consistent with slumber: ventral blubber tends to flip an unresponsive seal`s body.
What`s more, a few animals that drifted in shallow areas hit the seafloor without reacting.
Mitani`s team points out that the initial rapid descent is important.
It takes the seals below the usual cruising depths of their main predators, killer whales and white sharks.
Their slow sinking thereafter makes for a relatively short ascent for air once they awake.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Rafael Nadal to make Brisbane International debut in 2017
- Turkey tanks enter Syria in anti-Islamic State operation
- Union Cabinet clears Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2016 – Know the new rules
- 6.8 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar; tremors felt in northeast, Kolkata, Patna, Guwahati
- Did OP Jaisha lie about official apathy in Rio? Here is her co-runner's version