Sharks near US beaches create panic
New York: Reports of the appearance of two, five-foot-long sharks near three beaches in New Jersey have created panic among the people.
The two sharks were seen on Thursday about 50 feet from the shore at the South Seaside Park Beach in Berkeley township, which forced lifeguards to close the beach for about two hours, Fox News reported.
Two sharks were also spotted earlier in the week near Seaside Park Beach and Ocean Beach. The US Coast Guard has issued a warning for boaters to watch out for the sharks.
However, based on the size of the sharks, they are likely no real threat to humans, Hans Walters, a shark biologist at the Wildlife Conservation Society, said.
"They`re probably brown sharks, also known as sandbar sharks. They`re there every summer. They migrate along the Northeast coast. They come in very close to shore to feed on fish. They don`t eat people, but mistakes happen," said Walters. "If you see a shark, get out of the water."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Attention TV lovers, we have a good news for 'Sarabhai vs Sarabhai' fans! - Read more
- News Television Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags best news channel website honour
- Say Whaaat! Winners of Sunny Leone, Rannvijay Singha's 'Splitsvilla 9' already decided?
- Google-backed transpacific submarine cable between US and Japan goes live today!
- WOAH! Gautam Gambhir absolutely destroys Ravi Shastri - Here are his scathing comments