Soft corals are key building blocks of reefs
Washington: Scientists have long believed that soft corals, one of the many endangered elements of marine life, are only minor contributors to the structure of coral reefs.
But a new research has revealed that soft corals, like stony corals, are one of the central building blocks of a reef.
A new in-depth analysis of reefs in the South China Sea has revealed that massive parts of the reefs are actually made from cemented microscopic skeletal elements of soft corals termed sclerites.
The finding from the joint research by Tel Aviv University, the Academia Sinica, the National Museum of Natural Science of Taiwan and National Taiwan University challenges conventional knowledge about soft corals and makes their conservation a priority.
Like whales, dolphins, and stony corals, soft corals are a critically important component of the marine environment, said Prof. Yehuda Benayahu of TAU’s Department of Zoology at the George S. Wise Faculty of Life Sciences.
In the reefs of Kenting National Park, located in South Taiwan, the researchers discovered that large structures originally believed to be comprised of stony corals were actually deposits of sclerites that been cemented to each other by calcium carbonate over time.
Soft corals are integral throughout the reef ecosystem and provide a home for creatures such as fish, snails, algae and many others.
Outside of the marine environment, soft corals also work to protect our human habitat.
Boulders and reef structures made of cemented soft coral sclerites that form near shores act as natural wave breakers, protecting land against erosion by the sea or ocean during typhoons or cyclones, added Prof. Benayahu
The finding was published in the journal Coral Reefs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured