Tamil Nadu to introduce solar energy policy
Chennai: Tamil Nadu would soon introduce a solar energy policy to fulfill its aim of becoming a power surplus state in three years by utilising new and renewable energies, Electricity Minister `Natham` Viswanathan said here today.
"A policy on solar energy will be introduced soon. It is expected to be released during the coming budget session", he said at the two-day conference "Renergy 2012", organised by Tamil Nadu Energy Development Agency (TEDA).
Construction of three lakh solar power green houses in Tamil Nadu and plans to have one lakh solar-powered street lights were part of the AIADMK Government proposals, he said and added the government has set a target of generating 3000 MW of solar power by 2015.
"We want to generate 3,000 MW solar power by 2015", he said.
On the acute power shortage in Tamil Nadu, he said the present situation is due to increase in demand and lack of supply and hoped it would gradually ease out, beginning June.
"Electricity has become a necessity.The present situation is due to increase in demand and lack of supply. I hope the situation will gradually ease. We expect by 2013-14 there will be distrbution as per demand and by 2015-16, we expect Tamil Nadu be a power surplus State",he said.
Noting that 45 per cent of the country`s total wind energy is generated from Tamil Nadu, he invited industrialists to invest in generating renewable energies.
Tamilnadu Generation and Distribution Corporation Ltd. (TANGEDCO) Chairman Rajeev Ranjan said they planned to come out with a financial restructuring plan for the ailing TANGEDCO.
"We have some financial problems and we are trying to come up with a financial restructuring plan which we have submitted to Government of India", he said.
"We expect a solution to ease out the problem. We are also looking at how to get over the issue locally. We are expecting a new tariff policy. The hike in tariffs will give us relief", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi