`Tehri dam on Ganga a potential danger`
Varanasi: BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi has said that there is a "danger of immense destruction" if the Tehri dam on Ganga is damaged in any way.
While citing various possibilities that can damage the dam, including an apparent reference to earthquakes, Joshi claimed that "the government was advised to keep the height of the Tehri dam low when it was being constructed, which did not happen.
"Now, the flow of Ganga has decreased and this has affected its water quality," Joshi said yesterday at the inauguration ceremony of Mahamana Malviya Institute of Technology for Ganga Management.
"While water conservation is necessary, damming a river should be in keeping with requirements. Instead of copying the west, it is better that development takes place based on our needs," the chairperson of the PAC said.
"The ill-effects of playing with nature are apparent only after a while. This is what has happened with the Ganga," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS