`Tehri dam on Ganga a potential danger`
Varanasi: BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi has said that there is a "danger of immense destruction" if the Tehri dam on Ganga is damaged in any way.
While citing various possibilities that can damage the dam, including an apparent reference to earthquakes, Joshi claimed that "the government was advised to keep the height of the Tehri dam low when it was being constructed, which did not happen.
"Now, the flow of Ganga has decreased and this has affected its water quality," Joshi said yesterday at the inauguration ceremony of Mahamana Malviya Institute of Technology for Ganga Management.
"While water conservation is necessary, damming a river should be in keeping with requirements. Instead of copying the west, it is better that development takes place based on our needs," the chairperson of the PAC said.
"The ill-effects of playing with nature are apparent only after a while. This is what has happened with the Ganga," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH