Two elephants die in Kaziranga after a fight
Kaziranga: Two male elephants, employed for carrying tourists on safaris in Kaziranga Nationl Park in Assam, have died after they succumbed to their injuries sustained during a fight.
Tusker `Ratan` (26) in Musth, a sexually aggressive period among elephant bulls ? suddenly attacked another elephant `Gautam` (25) when they were playing with each other on Tuesday and seriously injured him, KNP director N K Vasu said Thursday.
Gautam, who does not have tusks, succumbed to his wounds within three hours of being attacked at the Mihimukh ground of the Park where tourists are taken for elephant safari rides inside the World Heritage Site, Vasu said.
Ratan was also grievously injured in the fight and died yesterday, the Park director said.
The elephants, with long experience of carrying tourists on the safari rides, were to be part of the group of 22 pachyderms that would take visitors on rides inside the Park that opens to tourists tomorrow, he added.
Ratan`s tusks were removed and kept in the locker of the Forest Department before the two pachyderms were buried inside the KNP, department sources said.
The two mammoths were employees of the Forest Department receiving salaries for their upkeep during their service period and then pension after retirement, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya