Through a tie-up with a US-based software company, Karunya University is training its engineering graduates to be job-ready.
Through a tie-up with a US-based software company, Karunya University is training its engineering graduates to be job-ready. Prachi Rege reports.
As per a report published by NASSCOM, a fifth to a third of the million students graduating out of engineering colleges in India run the risk of being unemployed. The onus to create skilled-professionals lies with both, the education institutes and the industry. Among the many academic-industry partnerships that have been signed, to achieve the feat of skilling the graduates, yet another one has been struck. This time it is between Coimbatore-based Karunya University and Novell Inc, a multinational software and services company headquartered in Provo, Utah. “This partnership will help tackle the dearth of employable talent graduating from colleges and serve the common purpose of both the graduates as well as the industry,” says Venkatesh Swaminathan, country head, The Attachmate Group, which owns Novell. Commenting on the tie-up, R Elijah Blessing, director, School of Computer Science and Technology, Karunya University informs, “We want our graduates to have an edge in the competitive market where only the skilled will survive in the long run.”
Under the collaboration, the University is offering a MTech programme in information technology. The curriculum has been designed with inputs from experts from Novell. It also includes in-house courses of the company (SEE BOX). “We have included aspects like mobility, cloud computing, security and big data etc. which are revolutionising the industry,” informs Swaminathan. A team of professionals from Novell have trained 15 Karunya faculty members under the ‘train the trainer programme’. The Novell Center of Excellence has also been set up on the campus to support lab experiments of M-Tech students. As a part of the agreement, Karunya University is an authorised Novell Practicum Center where students can write certificate examinations and become Novell certified professionals after finishing their course.
Reflecting on the numerous academic-industry tie-up Swaminathan says, “At a national level too, government organisations like the National Skill Development Center has partnerned with private organisations to help skill millions of people especially in the IT and ITES sector. There is certainly a positive effect on the quality of students graduating and entering the industry, reducing the time and resources used to re-skill and train them.”
Novell courses in the curriculum include:
Products for students to work on:
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Check uaresults.nic.in for Uttarakhand Board Class 12 result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes