Congress seeks arrest of Majithia for provocative speech
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress on Monday sought the arrest of Cabinet Minister Bikram Singh Majithia for his alleged provocative speech at a public rally, which the party considered meant for inciting violence.
In a complaint to the Election Commission, copies of which were released to media here, the Punjab Congress claimed that Majithia made a "highly provocative" speech at Amritsar during a public rally yesterday.
"Majithia tried to provoke and incite people to violence against Congress candidate from Amritsar constituency Capt Amarinder Singh," the Congress alleged.
Majithia also used "extreme intimidatory language" against Congress cadres and workers by saying that "he will teach a lesson to Congress workers by twisting their necks, if they dare to support Capt Amarinder Singh," the Congress alleged.
The utterances were made by Majithia in presence of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and BJP leader Arun Jaitley, the Congress said.
"Majithia`s utterances cannot be dismissed away off hand, he has a criminal record of intimidating and arm-twisting people particularly his political opponents and more so during the elections," the Congress said.
Besides, Majithia had said similar things in 2011 in Punjab Assembly, where he had gone to the extent of saying that he was ready to chop off Capt Amarinder Singh`s head and put it in Badal`s feet, the Congress alleged in its complaint.
Hailing the action taken by the ECI by arresting Imran Masood, Congress candidate from Saharanpur, for his provocative utterances against Narendra Modi, the Congress urged the poll panel to summon and examine the videograhic record of Majithia`s "provocative speech" too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday