CPI(M) alleges unfair means in polls, TMC denies
Kolkata: The Opposition CPI(M) on Wednesday alleged intimidation and booth capturing by the Trinamool Congress in the fourth phase of elections in six parliamentary seats in West Bengal, a charge denied by the ruling TMC.
CPI(M) leader Suryakanta Mishra said of the 11,321 booths in the six seats, the Left parties had lodged specific complaints to the EC office here and in Delhi in respect of 441 booths.
"Out of these booths, elections were not free and fair in 288 and there were incidents of driving out of agents of Left candidates and booth capturing and false voting," Mishra told reporters here.
He alleged that central forces were not properly utilised in this phase like the earlier third phase to ensure a free and fair poll.
Left Front chairman Biman Bose said "Chief Electoral Officer Sunil Gupta is acting like a robot in a televised advertisement by the EC for voters awareness.
"It is unfortunate that EC spent so much money for ineffective advertisements," he said alleging large-scale booth capturing and partial violence.
TMC General Secretary Mukul Roy claimed at a press conference that a few party workers were injured and that the Left were making allegations without any proof.
"The polls have been free, fair and peaceful. We are hopeful people have showered their blessngs on us," Roy said.
Alleging that during Left Front rule people could not vote peacefully, he claimed that the TMC would win all the six seats where elections were held during the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information