Final round of polling in Madhya Pradesh on Thursday
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh will see its final round of balloting Thursday with 10 Lok Sabha constituencies going to the polls.
Of the state`s 29 Lok Sabha constituencies, voting for 19 seats was completed in the first two phases on April 10 and April 17.
As many as 118 candidates are in the fray in the final phase.
A total of 16,960,213 voters, including 8,171,532 women, are eligible to exercise their franchise in 19,444 polling booths.
A total 155,552 poll officials have been deployed.
The parliamentary constituencies going to polls April 24 are Vidisha, Dewas, Ujjain, Indore, Dhar, Ratlam, Mandsaur, Khargone, Khandwa and Betul. A simultaneous by-election will be held for the Vidisha assembly constituency.
In Vidisha, sitting MP and Bharatiya Janata Party`s leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj is pitted against Congress candidate Lakshman Singh.
Lakshman is the younger brother of the Congress general secretary Digvijaya Singh. Swaraj romped home in the 2009 Lok Sabha election by a margin of over four lakh votes.
Vidisha has been a stronghold of the BJP since 1989. Former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan have tasted victory on this seat in the past.
In Ratlam, Congress candidate Kantilal Bhuriya is fighting Dileepsingh Bhuriya of the BJP. Bhuriya is a former union minister and a four-time MP.
State Congress chief Arun Yadav has locked horns for the Khandwa seat against Nandkumar Singh Chouhan of the BJP. Here, the Aam Aadmi Party has fielded Alok Agarwal.
For the Indore seat, BJP candidate Sumitra Mahajan will be trying her luck against Satyanarayan Patel of the Congress.
Of the parliamentary constituencies going to polls Thursday, Congress won six in the 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers