General Elections 2014: Repolling underway in Uttar Pradesh
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: Repolling is underway on Monday at six polling stations of Agra, Firozabad and Etawah Lok Sabha constituencies as the Election Commission (EC) received complaints about booth capturing and intimidation during the election.
According to a report, more than 32 percent voting has been recorded in the first four hours.
Several complaints were sent to the poll panel about bogus voting and booth capturing during the election held on Thursday, especially in the belt of Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav.
Following the complaints, the EC sent observers to asses the situation in the constituencies.
The EC observers, in their report, confirmed about illegal means of voting at booth no 160, 161 and another polling booth in Sirsaganj Legislative Assembly of Firozabad from where Akshay Yadav, the nephew of the SP chief, is contesting the election.
Repoll was also recommended for booth no 10, 14 in Dibiyapur Assembly segment in Etawah, the native place of the SP chief.
Officials also said the fact that these incidents, including an earlier one, where repoll was held at some booths after the second phase of election in Rampur Lok Sabha constituency, the stronghold of another SP minister Azam Khan, "has put the SP in bad light".
Opposition parties has accused the ruling SP of indulging in such illegal means.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert