I was advised to release book on PM Manmohan Singh before elections: Sanjaya Baru
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Criticised for the ill-timed release of his controversial book `The Accidental Prime Minister`, former media advisor to PM Manmohan Singh Sanjaya Baru on Wednesday said that he was suggested by many to launch the book before 2014 General Elections otherwise the book would have lost its significance.
Several Congress leaders and Singh`s family members had accused Baru of violating the PM`s trust and also denounced the timing of the book release.
"A lot of my friends whom I consulted told me that Manmohan Singh will be history after the elections. Nobody will be interested in him then," Baru said, at the launch of the book "The Accidental Prime Minister" here this evening.
To a question, Baru said that former Prime Minister Narsimha Rao "believed that Congress should have a life beyond the (Gandhi) family" which "went against him" (in the eyes of Congress president Sonia Gandhi).
"I feel Narsimha Rao deserved a memorial in Delhi. It was a vendetta against him," Baru added.
He also said Sonia Gandhi did not become Prime Minister (in 2004) as Congress`s allies would have never accepted her, so she chose Dr Manmohan Singh.
"She couldn`t make another political person the Prime Minister because she had burnt her fingers with Narsimha Rao," Baru added.
When asked if he would take up a job in the Prime Minister`s Office if offered by (BJP`s PM candidate) Narendra Modi, Baru said, "There is no way I will go back to politics. I have no political ambitions but will keep writing books. I have never gone back to a job I have left. It would be insulting for me."
To the question why Manmohan Singh did not take a stand against the wrongdoings on his watch, as he took one in the case of Indo-US nuclear deal, Baru said his (Dr Singh`s) legacy was at stake on the nuclear deal, while it was not the same case on other issues.
"Indo-US deal was approved by the Cabinet and India`s reputation was at stake then. None would have taken India seriously had that deal not gone through. Singh viewed that it was only this decision for which he would be remembered," Baru said.
He also commented that business was not the focus in UPA-1. "India was growing at average of 8.5 per cent for 6 years and hence business and industries was not the focus of the Prime Minister."
Baru also maintained that though Singh himself once called himself "accidental PM", "I believed otherwise. In my book, I have been a strong defendant of Singh."
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo