No door-to-door campaigning after 10 pm: EC informs HC
Chennai: The Election Commission on Wednesday informed the Madras High Court that it has already issued orders that there should be no door-door campaign after 10 pm.
The EC submitted its reply on a petition filed by A P Suryaprakasam, an advocate.
The bench comprising Acting Chief Justice Satish K Agnihotri and Justice M M Sundres, disposed of the petition on recording the submission made by senior Advocate G Rajagopalan for the Election Commission.
In his petition, Suryaprakasam alleged that in the name of electioneering, political parties and their cadres were permitted for conducting door-to-door canvassing even after 10 PM.
He prayed for a direction to election authorities to pass orders restraining the political parties from conducting such campaigning.
With the Election Commission coming under attack, the Tamil Nadu Chief Electoral Officer Praveen Kumar had recently clarified that campaigning after 10 PM was prohibited and all the EC laws continued to apply.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi