No door-to-door campaigning after 10 pm: EC informs HC
Chennai: The Election Commission on Wednesday informed the Madras High Court that it has already issued orders that there should be no door-door campaign after 10 pm.
The EC submitted its reply on a petition filed by A P Suryaprakasam, an advocate.
The bench comprising Acting Chief Justice Satish K Agnihotri and Justice M M Sundres, disposed of the petition on recording the submission made by senior Advocate G Rajagopalan for the Election Commission.
In his petition, Suryaprakasam alleged that in the name of electioneering, political parties and their cadres were permitted for conducting door-to-door canvassing even after 10 PM.
He prayed for a direction to election authorities to pass orders restraining the political parties from conducting such campaigning.
With the Election Commission coming under attack, the Tamil Nadu Chief Electoral Officer Praveen Kumar had recently clarified that campaigning after 10 PM was prohibited and all the EC laws continued to apply.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket