Jaya wave: AIADMK continues its scorching pace in Tamil Nadu
Chennai: Tamil Nadu`s ruling AIADMK on Friday appeared to sweep the state thanks to a Jayalalithaa wave across the state.
As per the trends available Friday noon, AIADMK is leading in 37 of the 39 Lok Sabha seats in the state and the BJP is trailing in two.
If the trend continues, AIADMK may turn out to be one of the largest parties in the 16th Lok Sabha after the BJP and the Congress.
Already party cadres have started their victory celebrations at AIADMK`s headquarters.
"The AIADMK has done extremely well. The party seems to have bettered its own expectations.
"People seems to agree with her views on various issues advocated strongly by her like the Cauvery river water sharing, Mullaperiyar dam dispute with Kerala, attacks on Indian fishermen by Sri Lanka and others," Ramu Manivannan, professor of political science in the University of Madras, told IANS.
Looking ahead, Manivannan said AIADMK may not be part of the new government at the centre, but its leader J. Jayalalithaa will certainly be in a position to influence the policies of the new government.
He said DMK`s poor show is not mainly due to the infighting between M.K. Alagiri and M.K. Stalin, both sons of party president M. Karunanidhi.
"The party has not fared well in northern Tamil Nadu where Alagiri has no influence. His influence is only confined to southern parts of the state," Manivannan said.
People feel the DMK has not espoused the state`s cause as strongly as Jayalalithaa has done, he said.
Dhaya Alagiri, son of former DMK leader and union minister Alagiri, tweeted that it was not surprising that AIADMK swept the polls.
DMK, the major opposition party in the state, has not established lead in any of the 39 seats in Tamil Nadu.
The party`s leading lights like A. Raja, Dayanidhi Maran, T.R. Baalu and others are trailing to their respective AIADMK rivals.
Going by the trends, the Congress is facing a total washout as per pre-poll expectations.
The BJP led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) has established leads in two seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan