Journalists attacked outside MK Stalin`s house in Tamil Nadu
Chennai: Three reporters were injured when DMK cadres assaulted media persons gathered outside party leader MK Stalin`s house Sunday to collect news about his resignation from party posts, journalists organisations said. DMK expressed regret over the incident.
Several journalists were waiting outside Stalin`s residence here to gather news about his purported resignation as the party`s treasurer.
Expressing regret over the attack on the media persons, DMK organising secretary TKS Elangovan said the party cadres "could have misunderstood the comments of media persons" and attacked them.
He also said miscreants present at the spot could have tried to create mischief.
Chennai Press Club joint secretary Bharathi Thamizhan condemned the attack on the journalists gathered outside Stalin`s residence "in pursuit of their professional duty".
Thamizhan told IANS that a representation has been given to Chennai Police Commissioner JK Tripathy to take action against the attackers.
In a statement, the Madras Reporters Guild demanded the immediate arrest of the DMK cadres.
"Police should ensure that press people are allowed to discharge their duties in a free and frank manner," guild president R Rangaraj said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency