Mukhtar Ansari gets custody parole for LS polls campaigning
New Delhi: Uttar Pradesh legislator Mukhtar Ansari, facing trial in a case under stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act for allegedly being a member of an organised crime syndicate, has been granted custody parole for 10 days by a Delhi court for campaigning in Lok Sabha polls.
Additional Sessions Judge Savita Rao granted custody parole to Ansari, who is contesting the Lok Sabha election from Uttar Pradesh`s Ghoshi constituency on Quami Ekta Dal ticket.
The voting for Ghoshi seat is scheduled on May 12.
The court allowed the plea filed by Ansari, who is also an accused in the 2005 murder case of BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai, in which he said he was required to campaign for the polls.
A sitting legislator from UP`s Mau constituency, Ansari is also facing trial here in a case under MCOCA for being a member of an organised crime syndicate run by co-accused Prem Prakash alias Munna Bajrangi.
The Special Cell of Delhi Police had arrested Bajrangi in October, 2009 for allegedly threatening South Delhi businessman Ashok Tebriwal to extort Rs one crore after it intercepted their telephonic conversation.
The police had lodged an FIR against Ansari, who is said to be close to Bajrangi, after it found that he was also allegedly a part of the organised crime syndicate.
The 2005 murder case was transferred from Ghazipur in Uttar Pradesh to Delhi by the Supreme Court last year on a plea filed by Alka Rai, wife of Krishnanand Rai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi