Narendra Modi wants to divide Bengalis, non-Bengalis: Mamata Banerjee
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee hit back at BJP`s PM candidate on Monday saying that Narendra Modi was indulging in divisive politics and wanted to divide Bengalis and non-Bengalis.
She also said that the Gujarat CM wanted to pack off Bengalis from India. “Who is he to decide? He indulges in divisive politics. He wanted to divide Darjeeling. Now he wants to divide Hindus and Muslims in the state," she said.
Rebutting the accusation by Modi that she had done more damage to West Bengal in 35-month of rule than the Left Front in 35 years, Mamata Banerjee said that she did not need `gyan` from him on development, PTI reported.
"If he comes to power, India will plunge into darkness. We do not need gyan (lecture) on development from the architect of riots," Banerjee, the Trinamool Congress supremo said.
Heaping scorn on the the Gujarat CM Banerjee said "The man who is being projected as PM candidate, if he comes to power, India will be ruined."
She also refuted allegations by Modi that she was indulging in vote bank politics ignoring non-Bengalis and spreading the red carpet for Bangladeshis, the West Bengal CM, told reporters that he (Modi) did not know history.
Pointing out that immigrants from Bangladesh came to India under the Indira-Mujib agreement of 1971, she said,"Mr Modi does not know history. He does not know that speaking in Bangla does not make one a Bangladeshi." She added, "Elsewhere in India, anyone who speaks in Bangla is branded a Bangladeshi. This is discrimination."
The TMC and the BJP have been in a war of words since yesterday when Modi attacked Mamata.
Trinamool Congress last night heaped scorn on Modi, calling him the "butcher of Gujarat", in an angry retaliation to his no-holds barred attack on West Bengal CM.
"Butcher of Gujarat air-dropped into Bengal. He has no answers to Bengal`s development model. So, making personal attacks," TMC Spokesperson Derek O"Brien had said in a series of tweets lambasting the BJP Prime Ministerial candidate after the latter`s fresh attack on the party supremo at a rally in Serampore.
Modi had said yesterday, "Your (Mamata) paintings used to be sold for Rs 4 lakh, Rs 8 lakh or Rs 15 lakh, but what is the reason that one of your paintings sold for Rs 1.80 crore. I respect art. But who was the person who bought the painting for Rs 1.80 crore".
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Hyderabad varsity JAC condemns judicial commission report
- Hillary Clinton says Donald Trump is taking far-right hate groups `mainstream`
- John Kerry arrives in Geneva for Syria talks with Lavrov
- Three killed in apparent crossbow attack in Canada
- England to go ahead with Bangladesh tour amid security fears