Narendra Modi wants to divide Bengalis, non-Bengalis: Mamata Banerjee
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee hit back at BJP`s PM candidate on Monday saying that Narendra Modi was indulging in divisive politics and wanted to divide Bengalis and non-Bengalis.
She also said that the Gujarat CM wanted to pack off Bengalis from India. “Who is he to decide? He indulges in divisive politics. He wanted to divide Darjeeling. Now he wants to divide Hindus and Muslims in the state," she said.
Rebutting the accusation by Modi that she had done more damage to West Bengal in 35-month of rule than the Left Front in 35 years, Mamata Banerjee said that she did not need `gyan` from him on development, PTI reported.
"If he comes to power, India will plunge into darkness. We do not need gyan (lecture) on development from the architect of riots," Banerjee, the Trinamool Congress supremo said.
Heaping scorn on the the Gujarat CM Banerjee said "The man who is being projected as PM candidate, if he comes to power, India will be ruined."
She also refuted allegations by Modi that she was indulging in vote bank politics ignoring non-Bengalis and spreading the red carpet for Bangladeshis, the West Bengal CM, told reporters that he (Modi) did not know history.
Pointing out that immigrants from Bangladesh came to India under the Indira-Mujib agreement of 1971, she said,"Mr Modi does not know history. He does not know that speaking in Bangla does not make one a Bangladeshi." She added, "Elsewhere in India, anyone who speaks in Bangla is branded a Bangladeshi. This is discrimination."
The TMC and the BJP have been in a war of words since yesterday when Modi attacked Mamata.
Trinamool Congress last night heaped scorn on Modi, calling him the "butcher of Gujarat", in an angry retaliation to his no-holds barred attack on West Bengal CM.
"Butcher of Gujarat air-dropped into Bengal. He has no answers to Bengal`s development model. So, making personal attacks," TMC Spokesperson Derek O"Brien had said in a series of tweets lambasting the BJP Prime Ministerial candidate after the latter`s fresh attack on the party supremo at a rally in Serampore.
Modi had said yesterday, "Your (Mamata) paintings used to be sold for Rs 4 lakh, Rs 8 lakh or Rs 15 lakh, but what is the reason that one of your paintings sold for Rs 1.80 crore. I respect art. But who was the person who bought the painting for Rs 1.80 crore".
With PTI inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata