NC`s Shariq enters fray for Baramulla LS seat
Baramulla: Sitting National Conference MP Sharief-ud-din Shariq today filed his nomination for Baramulla Lok Sabha seat in north Kashmir which will go to polls on May seven.
Accompanied by Union Minister and party president Farooq Abdullah and JKPCC head Saif-ud-din Soz, Shariq submitted his papers to the Returning Officer. Addressing a gathering after filing of the nomination by Shariq, Abdullah warned the people about danger posed by the divisive forces.
He said his party and the Congress have joined hands to save the nation because polarisation is a major threat.
This election, Abdullah said, "is not the fight for building roads or creating districts. It is the fight for Mandir and Masjid. Unfotunately, both are houses of God."
Abdullah said the BJP wants to abolish article 370 of the Constitution but the Congress and the National Conference will not allow this.
"Their (BJP) aim is to abolish Article 370. They do not like the flag of the state. But, the Congress and the NC will not allow them to touch Article 370 even if we have to die."
Attacking both the BJP and the PDP, Abdullah said the people of the state will not allow these parties to succeed in their designs.
Advocating resolution of the Kashmir issue, he said "the decision has to be taken by Pakistan, then only peace will prevail."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender