Repoll in Bihar amid Maoist attack on polling personnel
Patna: Maoists unleashed violence in Nawada on Sunday during repoll, attacking a polling party, though there was no casualty in the retaliatory fire by security forces accompanying them, officials said.
Repoll was held at 33 polling booths spread over five Lok Sabha constituencies in the state, which went to polls in the first phase on April 10.
The Maoists ambushed the poll personnel near Hadhadwa forest under Kauakol police station area when they were returning after conducting repoll at Dania polling station area in Nawada constituency.
"The Maoists suddenly attacked the polling party. The security forces accompanying them retaliated. The firing lasted for a few minutes. Nobody was injured in the incident and all our people are safe," said Additional Chief Electoral Officer R Lakshmanan.
The EC had ordered repolling at 33 polling stations in five constituencies mostly because polling personnel could not reach there due to security reasons.
All polling stations were in Maoist-affected areas and voting was conducted from 7 am to 3 pm, but voter turnout was low, EC officials said adding these constituencies had gone to poll last Thursday during the first phase of polling in Bihar.
"The voting percentage was 42.44 in today`s repoll, with the highest being 54 per cent at Aurangabad and the lowest being 29 per cent in Jamui," Lakshmanan said.
Meanwhile the EC registered 19 cases of violation of the Model Code of Conduct across the state today. Security forces seized nine weapons and 30 cartridges and executed 781 non-bailable warrants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre