Two killed in explosion ahead of polls in Birbhum district
Suri: Two persons were killed when a bomb they were making exploded at Kusumberia village in Birbhum district on Monday.
The explosion was so powerful that it blew away a part of the thatched house, belonging to Ismail Sheikh, in which the two, along with others, were making the explosive, Birbhum SP Rashid Munir Khan said.
Residents of the village claimed that Sheikh was a local Trinamool Congress leader, which was, however, denied by the district TMC leaders.
The two killed have been identified as Seikh Hasan and Seikh Barjahan.
Chief Electoral Officer Sunil Gupta said in Kolkata that Barjahan was the resident of Dwaraka village in the same district.
Ananda Roy, additional SP, Birbhum and Surya Prasad Yadav, SDPO, Bolpur went to the village with a huge police force and seized the bodies.
A forensic team has also landed at the village to assess the exact nature of the explosion.
A combing operation has been started to arrest other persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video