Two killed in explosion ahead of polls in Birbhum district
Suri: Two persons were killed when a bomb they were making exploded at Kusumberia village in Birbhum district on Monday.
The explosion was so powerful that it blew away a part of the thatched house, belonging to Ismail Sheikh, in which the two, along with others, were making the explosive, Birbhum SP Rashid Munir Khan said.
Residents of the village claimed that Sheikh was a local Trinamool Congress leader, which was, however, denied by the district TMC leaders.
The two killed have been identified as Seikh Hasan and Seikh Barjahan.
Chief Electoral Officer Sunil Gupta said in Kolkata that Barjahan was the resident of Dwaraka village in the same district.
Ananda Roy, additional SP, Birbhum and Surya Prasad Yadav, SDPO, Bolpur went to the village with a huge police force and seized the bodies.
A forensic team has also landed at the village to assess the exact nature of the explosion.
A combing operation has been started to arrest other persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!