Two women win Assembly polls in Arunachal Pradesh
Itanagar: In a state where women voters outnumber males, only two women could make it to the 60-member Assembly from among the total seven who had contested this time.
The two winning candidates ? Karya Bagang (Chayangtajo) and Gum Tayeng (Dambuk) are from the ruling Congress.
Both won the seats for the second term.
While Bagang polled 4343 votes (74.8 per cent), Tayeng secured 5473 votes(55.3 per cent).
Women who lost the hustling include Toko Sheetal of PPA from Itanagar constituency, Debia Tara (BJP) and Taba Nirmali from Yachuli, NPF candidate Pike Pulu from Lekang and Independent Yai Mara from Likabali.
Mara had unsuccessfully contested from the constituency in 2009.
Mara and Nirmali occupied the second place this time polling 2972 votes (34.7 per cent) and 6615 votes (47.7 per cent) respectively in their constituencies.
Tara polled only 569 votes (4.1 per cent), followed by Sheetal who got 418 votes (1.2 per cent) and Pulu with 236 votes (1.8 per cent) respectively.
Despite their willingness to join politics most of them failed to win because of the patriarchal nature of society in the state.
The state has 3,77,272 female voters against 3,75,898 males, with women outnumbering men in several assembly constituencies.
Sibo Kai was the first woman legislator of the state after she was nominated to the assembly in 1978 when the state was an Union Territory and Nyari Welly was the first elected MLA of the state.
Welly was first elected from Seppa constituency on a PPA ticket in 1980 and re-elected in 1984 from the same constituency as a Congress candidate.
Independent candidate Komoli was elected from Nampong constituency in 1984 and re-elected from the same constituency as a Congress nominee in 1990. O M Deori was also elected from Lekang in the same year.
The other women MLAs of the state include Yadap Apang (Congress) who won from Pasighat in 1995, Mekup Dolo (1999) as an independent candidate from Seppa, Congress candidate Niani Natung from Pakke-Kessang during 2001 by election, Yari Dulom from Daporijo during 2002 by- poll and independent candidate Nang Sati Mein from Namsai during 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh