Budget 2013-14 taxes rich class, benefits poor people: Goa CM
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Thursday said the state government has taxed the rich and given benefit to the poor in the budget 2013-14.
"If you show me any tax that is affecting the common man, I will resign from politics," Parrikar said on the floor of the House, on the last day of the month-long session today.
"The government has given benefit to the common people by taxing the rich people. If someone can afford to buy Ferrari car, let him pay to the government, but I have not taxed the one who is riding a motorcycle," the Chief Minister said.
Parrikar said that false propaganda was being spread by opposition legislators and section of media, which claimed that the budget will affect the lives of common men.
"Show me a single tax that would affect the common man," he said, asking the media to be sensitive while reporting such matters.
Referring to the tax proposal on new apartments and flats, the Chief Minister said that although the state government has increased the infrastructure tax, sales tax and stamp duty partially, the government has cut down on the registration charges tremendously which is benefiting the middle-class buyers.
Parrikar today presented the action taken report (ATR) on the budget (presented by him on March 18), which claims that 38 percent of the promises made in the budget are already fulfilled by the government.
"Of the total 258 things mentioned in the budget, 98 have already been fulfilled," he said, adding, more 83 things are almost 50 percent completed.
"Total 32 percent more assurances would be fulfilled by May month end, which will ensure that 70 percent of the promises in the budget are completed," he told the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday