Budget 2013-14 taxes rich class, benefits poor people: Goa CM
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Thursday said the state government has taxed the rich and given benefit to the poor in the budget 2013-14.
"If you show me any tax that is affecting the common man, I will resign from politics," Parrikar said on the floor of the House, on the last day of the month-long session today.
"The government has given benefit to the common people by taxing the rich people. If someone can afford to buy Ferrari car, let him pay to the government, but I have not taxed the one who is riding a motorcycle," the Chief Minister said.
Parrikar said that false propaganda was being spread by opposition legislators and section of media, which claimed that the budget will affect the lives of common men.
"Show me a single tax that would affect the common man," he said, asking the media to be sensitive while reporting such matters.
Referring to the tax proposal on new apartments and flats, the Chief Minister said that although the state government has increased the infrastructure tax, sales tax and stamp duty partially, the government has cut down on the registration charges tremendously which is benefiting the middle-class buyers.
Parrikar today presented the action taken report (ATR) on the budget (presented by him on March 18), which claims that 38 percent of the promises made in the budget are already fulfilled by the government.
"Of the total 258 things mentioned in the budget, 98 have already been fulfilled," he said, adding, more 83 things are almost 50 percent completed.
"Total 32 percent more assurances would be fulfilled by May month end, which will ensure that 70 percent of the promises in the budget are completed," he told the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees