Budget 2013-14 taxes rich class, benefits poor people: Goa CM
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Thursday said the state government has taxed the rich and given benefit to the poor in the budget 2013-14.
"If you show me any tax that is affecting the common man, I will resign from politics," Parrikar said on the floor of the House, on the last day of the month-long session today.
"The government has given benefit to the common people by taxing the rich people. If someone can afford to buy Ferrari car, let him pay to the government, but I have not taxed the one who is riding a motorcycle," the Chief Minister said.
Parrikar said that false propaganda was being spread by opposition legislators and section of media, which claimed that the budget will affect the lives of common men.
"Show me a single tax that would affect the common man," he said, asking the media to be sensitive while reporting such matters.
Referring to the tax proposal on new apartments and flats, the Chief Minister said that although the state government has increased the infrastructure tax, sales tax and stamp duty partially, the government has cut down on the registration charges tremendously which is benefiting the middle-class buyers.
Parrikar today presented the action taken report (ATR) on the budget (presented by him on March 18), which claims that 38 percent of the promises made in the budget are already fulfilled by the government.
"Of the total 258 things mentioned in the budget, 98 have already been fulfilled," he said, adding, more 83 things are almost 50 percent completed.
"Total 32 percent more assurances would be fulfilled by May month end, which will ensure that 70 percent of the promises in the budget are completed," he told the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown