Clampdown on beach side shacks to curb drugs menace in Goa
Panaji: In an effort to get rid of the growing menace of drugs along Goa`s shore line, the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) has launched a clamp down on the beach side shacks, eateries, discotheques and pubs in the state.
India`s premier anti-narcotics agency has joined hands with the state authorities to shut down these premises, which are doubling up as narcotics dens.
NCB superintendent (Goa zone) Ravi Kumar Rana told PTI that one such shack, Shiva Valley, at Anjuna beach, was closed down last month after narcotics-related activities were reported from there.
The state Tourism Department, following reports from the NCB, had issued shut-down notice to the shack for the next three years.
Rana said that more such establishments are on the radar of the anti narcotic sleuths, who have begun intensive intelligence gathering along the coastline that is infested with the drug menace.
"The central and state agencies are working in coordination to ensure that the drug trade is eliminated from the state," Rana said.
He added that the awareness programmes are also being held across the state to sensitise people about the ill-effects of the drug abuse and also seek their cooperation in getting inputs about the narco-trade.
Following the Government of India directives, the NCB has decided to install signages displaying warning against the drug consumption in 2,500 establishments,000 discotheques, pubs, clubs, shacks, across Goa.
Rana said that similar initiative is being taken in Delhi, while it is being undertaken in the states like Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi