Clampdown on beach side shacks to curb drugs menace in Goa
Panaji: In an effort to get rid of the growing menace of drugs along Goa`s shore line, the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) has launched a clamp down on the beach side shacks, eateries, discotheques and pubs in the state.
India`s premier anti-narcotics agency has joined hands with the state authorities to shut down these premises, which are doubling up as narcotics dens.
NCB superintendent (Goa zone) Ravi Kumar Rana told PTI that one such shack, Shiva Valley, at Anjuna beach, was closed down last month after narcotics-related activities were reported from there.
The state Tourism Department, following reports from the NCB, had issued shut-down notice to the shack for the next three years.
Rana said that more such establishments are on the radar of the anti narcotic sleuths, who have begun intensive intelligence gathering along the coastline that is infested with the drug menace.
"The central and state agencies are working in coordination to ensure that the drug trade is eliminated from the state," Rana said.
He added that the awareness programmes are also being held across the state to sensitise people about the ill-effects of the drug abuse and also seek their cooperation in getting inputs about the narco-trade.
Following the Government of India directives, the NCB has decided to install signages displaying warning against the drug consumption in 2,500 establishments,000 discotheques, pubs, clubs, shacks, across Goa.
Rana said that similar initiative is being taken in Delhi, while it is being undertaken in the states like Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets