Coast Guard vessel ramming Goa fishing trawler being probed
Panaji: The Indian Coast Guard has initiated a Board of Inquiry in the accident involving its offshore patrol vessel and a fishing trawler off Goa coast which left one fishermen dead and five missing yesterday.
"The ship involved in the accident was our vessel ICGS Vaibhav. We have initiated a Board of Inquiry," Indian Coast Guard Goa region commander S D Bhanot told PTI today.
"Two naval ships have been conducting search and rescue operations since yesterday. They have recovered one body," Bhanot said, adding, five are still missing.
A fishing trawler called `Sea Messiah`, which had left South Goa`s Cutbona jetty, had capsized off 13 nautical miles from Agonda beach in Canacona taluka yesterday at 4.30 am.
The trawler had 23 crew members on board, of which the body of one was found in the rescue operation, while four are still missing.
The rest of the crew was rescued by another trawler fishing nearby, five hours after the accident when they were marooned at sea.
Coast Guard vessel ICGS Vaibhav which was involved in the accident is a 90-metre offshore class patrol vessel.
Meanwhile, the Cutbona Boat Owners` Association (CBOA), a union of trawler operators, demanded here today that a police case be registered against the pilot who steered ICGS Vaibhav.
"Commander of the ICG has admitted that the vessel involved belongs to their fleet. A police case should be registered and the vessel`s pilot should be arrested," CBOA President Patrick D?Silva demanded.
He said that police action is necessary as the trawler was illuminated well enough to be spotted by a nearby ship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’