Drug overdose angle ruled out in UK tourist`s death
Panaji: British woman Denyse Carol Sweeney had not died of drug overdose here in 2010 as initially claimed by the Goa Police, giving credence to her family`s claim that she had been murdered.
A senior police official today confirmed they have received chemical report of Sweeney`s viscera, sent for analysis at a Gujarat lab after months of delay, and it has concluded there was no trace of alcohol or drugs in her body.
The British tourist had collapsed at a night club at Anjuna on April 16, 2010 and died the same day at a private hospital where she was admitted.
The hospital had claimed the 35-year-old died "due to drug overdose" and the police concurred with the conclusion after its investigations.
Sweeney`s family members had refused to buy the drug overdose theory after several bruise marks were found on her body during an autopsy done in the UK.
Her sister Maureen had launched a campaign seeking justice for her sister with the help of local media and elected representatives.
Goa Police, which had closed the investigation, reopened it and registered a fresh case of murder against unknown persons.
Police officials said although the viscera report is negative, it could be due to delay in analysis. Police had sent the viscera almost 20 months after Sweeney`s death, citing "reluctance" on part of forensic laboratories in the country to accept it for analysis.
Surat Regional Forensic Laboratory had finally accepted the viscera and sent the report to Goa Police.
After reopening the probe, police had recorded statements of witnesses and even police officials involved in the initial investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh