Gangster threatens witness in court room
Panaji: Noted gangster Michael Fernandes, who has been currently lodged in a judicial lock up after a spate of jail breaks, reportedly abused a witness and threatened him with dire consequences in the court room, police said on Friday.
Being prosecuted for a series of thefts and robberies, Fernandes reportedly abused one Romeo Britto, a hotel owner from Siolim village, when the latter had come to depose against him yesterday.
The gangster was being escorted back to the lockup after the hearing when he turned back to the court room and threatened the witness
Britto has lodged a complaint with Mapusa police station about the incident and has sought protection.
The gangster is notorious for daring jail escapes after he ran away five times, police said.
Recently, he had attempted to commit suicide in judicial lock up by consuming some tablets.
A senior police officer attached to Mapusa police station said the complaint of the witness was being investigated.
"Next time we will make sure that the gangster and witnesses don`t come face to face," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family