Goa Assembly celebrates 50 years of inception
Panaji: Goa Legislative Assembly today decided to hold year-long celebrations to mark 50 years of its inception.
State Legislative Assembly Speaker Rajendra Arlekar today announced the decision to hold the celebrations as the month-long session began here.
The celebrations began with lightening of the traditional lamp by Arlekar, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, Deputy Chief Minister Francis D`Souza, Leader of Opposition Pratapsingh Rane and Deputy Speaker Anant Shet.
The entire House was decorated with flowers when the session was called today to present the state Budget.
The first Goa Legislative Assembly was convened on January 9, 1964, three years after the state was liberated from the Portuguese rule.
Following the end of Portuguese rule in 1961, Goa was placed under military administration headed by Lt Gen Candeth.
But on June 8, 1962, military rule was replaced by civilian government when the Lt Governor formed an informal Consultative Council of 29 nominated members to assist him in the administration of the territory.
When Goa became a state of India from its status of Union Territory in 1987, the number of seats in the Assembly was increased to 40.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy