Goa CM apologises for calling African a `Negro`
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar Thursday apologised for using the word "Negro" in one of the answers tabled on the floor of the House here after the alleged racist slur evoked strong reactions from the members.
"Negro has two meanings. One is about a river in Amazon, and second is (in a) derogatory (sense). For that purpose, if someone is hurt, I apologise for that," he told the Goa Assembly.
The Chief minister blamed a clerk in the police department for the mistake in the written reply on the issue of number of foreign nationals arrested in the state.
"The clerk in police department does not understand how serious the particular word is," he said.
In the reply tabled on the floor of the House yesterday, Parrikar had referred to an African national arrested at Calangute village on May 8 this year as "unknown African negro".
Later, the CM sought to replace the word "unknown African Negro" with "unknown person with dark complexion" after the reference drew flak in the House.
Main Opposition Congress said that such an instance sends negative signals to international tourists.
"A circular needs to be sent to departments asking them to refrain from making such racist remarks. We are a tourist state and such words send negative signals to international tourists," Congress spokesperson Durgadas Kamat had said.
On use of the word in official documentation, he said such unfortunate references create a "bad image" about Goa among the global tourist community.
Earlier in November 2013, State Art and Culture Minister Dayanand Mandrekar has dubbed Nigerians as "cancer", after a group of African nationals were involved in blocking the road at Porvorim near here.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know