Goa CM meets Environment Min over mining issues
New Delhi: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Tuesday met Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar and discussed the issues arising from the ban of mining activities within a kilometre of national parks and sanctuaries.
He also asked the Centre to help resolve all the key environment issues related to mining.
"In the meeting, the Goa Chief Minister requested the Centre to take initiative for rationalising mining norms within one kilometre of national parks and sanctuaries in the state," a senior Environment Ministry official told PTI.
Parrikar, who came with his team of officials, requested the Centre to work towards "resolving all environmental issues related to mining sector and eco-sensitive zones in the state", he added.
In April, the Supreme Court, in the wake of the recommendations of the Justice Shah Commission, partially lifted the 18-month-old mining ban in Goa and allowed 20 million tonnes of iron ore to be extracted annually.
Production in Goa before the ban was about 45 million tonnes a year.
The apex court had categorically said there can be no mining activities within 1 km from the boundaries of national parks and sanctuaries in Goa.
The court had banned operations in all 90 mines in Goa from September 2012 after the Shah Commission pointed out illegalities in the industry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!