Goa CM meets Environment Min over mining issues
New Delhi: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Tuesday met Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar and discussed the issues arising from the ban of mining activities within a kilometre of national parks and sanctuaries.
He also asked the Centre to help resolve all the key environment issues related to mining.
"In the meeting, the Goa Chief Minister requested the Centre to take initiative for rationalising mining norms within one kilometre of national parks and sanctuaries in the state," a senior Environment Ministry official told PTI.
Parrikar, who came with his team of officials, requested the Centre to work towards "resolving all environmental issues related to mining sector and eco-sensitive zones in the state", he added.
In April, the Supreme Court, in the wake of the recommendations of the Justice Shah Commission, partially lifted the 18-month-old mining ban in Goa and allowed 20 million tonnes of iron ore to be extracted annually.
Production in Goa before the ban was about 45 million tonnes a year.
The apex court had categorically said there can be no mining activities within 1 km from the boundaries of national parks and sanctuaries in Goa.
The court had banned operations in all 90 mines in Goa from September 2012 after the Shah Commission pointed out illegalities in the industry.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference