Goa Congress chief quits
Panaji: Goa Congress chief Subhash Shirodkar
on Friday resigned owning the responsibility of party`s defeat in
the recently held Legislative Assembly election.
Shirodkar handed his resignation to party president Sonia
Gandhi in New Delhi. He and former Chief Minister Digambar
Kamat were in Delhi to submit report on the party`s
performance in Goa.
Shirodkar had said two days ago that he would be stepping
down, taking the responsibility for the drubbing which the
ruling Congress got in Goa.
Sources said that Gandhi asked Shirodkar to remain as a
caretaker GPCC chief till the new leader was appointed.
Congress could win only 9 seats out of 40 in Goa, while
BJP secured a clear majority.
Congress high command has sent its emissaries to Goa
today to take a stock of the situation and oversee the process
of electing new leader of opposition this evening.
All India Congress Committee`s General Secretary Jagmit
Singh Brar and Union Minister Mukul Vasnik are in Panaji.
"We will hear the views of all the MLAs before deciding
on the leader of opposition," Brar said, adding that if MLAs
wanted the decision to be taken by Sonia Gandhi, then the
matter will be referred to Delhi.
Senior Congress leader Pratapsingh Rane and Digambar
Kamat are front-runners for the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her