Goa Congress chief quits
Panaji: Goa Congress chief Subhash Shirodkar
on Friday resigned owning the responsibility of party`s defeat in
the recently held Legislative Assembly election.
Shirodkar handed his resignation to party president Sonia
Gandhi in New Delhi. He and former Chief Minister Digambar
Kamat were in Delhi to submit report on the party`s
performance in Goa.
Shirodkar had said two days ago that he would be stepping
down, taking the responsibility for the drubbing which the
ruling Congress got in Goa.
Sources said that Gandhi asked Shirodkar to remain as a
caretaker GPCC chief till the new leader was appointed.
Congress could win only 9 seats out of 40 in Goa, while
BJP secured a clear majority.
Congress high command has sent its emissaries to Goa
today to take a stock of the situation and oversee the process
of electing new leader of opposition this evening.
All India Congress Committee`s General Secretary Jagmit
Singh Brar and Union Minister Mukul Vasnik are in Panaji.
"We will hear the views of all the MLAs before deciding
on the leader of opposition," Brar said, adding that if MLAs
wanted the decision to be taken by Sonia Gandhi, then the
matter will be referred to Delhi.
Senior Congress leader Pratapsingh Rane and Digambar
Kamat are front-runners for the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway