Goa Congress chief quits
Panaji: Goa Congress chief Subhash Shirodkar
on Friday resigned owning the responsibility of party`s defeat in
the recently held Legislative Assembly election.
Shirodkar handed his resignation to party president Sonia
Gandhi in New Delhi. He and former Chief Minister Digambar
Kamat were in Delhi to submit report on the party`s
performance in Goa.
Shirodkar had said two days ago that he would be stepping
down, taking the responsibility for the drubbing which the
ruling Congress got in Goa.
Sources said that Gandhi asked Shirodkar to remain as a
caretaker GPCC chief till the new leader was appointed.
Congress could win only 9 seats out of 40 in Goa, while
BJP secured a clear majority.
Congress high command has sent its emissaries to Goa
today to take a stock of the situation and oversee the process
of electing new leader of opposition this evening.
All India Congress Committee`s General Secretary Jagmit
Singh Brar and Union Minister Mukul Vasnik are in Panaji.
"We will hear the views of all the MLAs before deciding
on the leader of opposition," Brar said, adding that if MLAs
wanted the decision to be taken by Sonia Gandhi, then the
matter will be referred to Delhi.
Senior Congress leader Pratapsingh Rane and Digambar
Kamat are front-runners for the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'