Goa gears up to welcome Lord Ganesh
Panaji: Goans have have geared up to celebrate with pomp and grandeur the ten-day Ganesh Chaturthi festival beginning from Thursday with the festival spirit already filling
Hundreds of clay idols of Lord Ganesh will be consecrated after processions that will be taken out throughout the day today.
The festivities mark the family union in many places as this is the time of the year when city-dwellers return to the countryside for the festival.
In the backdrop against past events of robberies that peak up during the festival, Goa Police are not taking any chances.
The police have formed a special investigation team to pre-empt any break-ins.
Besides, the advisories are issued for the citizens to inform the nearest police stations, if they are leaving for their native.
Alike the Konkan Railway which is running special services from Mumbai owing to heavy rush, the inter-state buses too are chock-a-block as everyone is rushing home to get the hang of the festival.
The traditional essentials which are required for the worship of Lord Ganesh were being sold, as prices for many of them are overshot due to rising demand.
The rains are playing a spoilsport for the festivities. Incessant rains have lashed Konkan region for the last three days with the meteorological prediction hinting at
more to come in the next two days.
The weather bulletin released by the state government has indicated "heavy to very heavy" rainfall at isolated places in Goa during the next 24 hours, besides prevalence of cyclone-like conditions on the coast.
Meanwhile, the district administration has advised revellers in port town of Vasco not to burst fire crackers as the naphtha content emanated from the recent pipeline rupture is still suspended in the air.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region- Part II
- DNA: Court acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching case
- Islamic State group claims second German attack in a week
- Former Apple executive is back to lead company's car project
- Mumbai Taxi-rickshaw strike 'put on hold'
- VIDEO: Sushil calls Narsingh's doping row 'unfortunate', wants fellow wrestlers to win medals at Rio
- Pained by death of his buddy 'Tiger', 26/11 canine hero Caesar goes into depression