Goa orders probe into Tehelka incident
Panaji: Goa government on Thursday ordered a preliminary inquiry into the alleged sexual assault by Tehelka Editor Tarun Tejpal on a woman journalist of his magazine on the ground there seems to be some substance in it.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, who met top police officials, told reporters that he has directed police to conduct a probe into the incident.
He said the inquiry began after media reports on the incident that took place in a five star hotel in Panaji ten days ago.
"Now it has been found there is substance in the complaint in what the girl has said. Probably the incident took place in the lift," the Chief Minster said.
The letter which the girl has written to her office indicates that there was an attempt to rape or it may have happened, he said.
Parrikar said that the government is already taken up the matter proactively and Tejpal might be summoned for inquiry.
"We will also contact the girl and record her statement if she wants to give," Parrikar said.
He said if the girl files a police complaint then the state government will proceed full swing in this case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city