Goa orders probe into Tehelka incident
Panaji: Goa government on Thursday ordered a preliminary inquiry into the alleged sexual assault by Tehelka Editor Tarun Tejpal on a woman journalist of his magazine on the ground there seems to be some substance in it.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, who met top police officials, told reporters that he has directed police to conduct a probe into the incident.
He said the inquiry began after media reports on the incident that took place in a five star hotel in Panaji ten days ago.
"Now it has been found there is substance in the complaint in what the girl has said. Probably the incident took place in the lift," the Chief Minster said.
The letter which the girl has written to her office indicates that there was an attempt to rape or it may have happened, he said.
Parrikar said that the government is already taken up the matter proactively and Tejpal might be summoned for inquiry.
"We will also contact the girl and record her statement if she wants to give," Parrikar said.
He said if the girl files a police complaint then the state government will proceed full swing in this case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Fire breaks out at Amritsar railway station; damages main server, other equipments
- Why Brexit is a harbinger of climate change?
- Bihar to use WhatsApp to repair bad roads
- Oops! People in Belarus are getting naked at work – See pics
- Gay, lesbian, bisexual don't come under third gender; give reservation to transgenders: SC to Centre