Goa: Rane warns BJP leaders of defamation case
Panaji: Goa Health Minister Vishwajit Rane
Monday Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar and his fellow BJP leader Kirit Somaiya that he would be filing case against them for "defaming him in the illegal mining scam".
Rane, an MLA from Valpoi, said that both the leaders
had made "baseless" statements against him in the media.
"If they have proof of my connection with the illegal
mining, let them come out with it," the minister said, at a
press conference here.
Parrikar, who headed Public Accounts Committee (PAC) on illegal mining, allegedly made a statement regarding Rane`s alleged involvement in a TV interview.
Somaiya, at a press conference last week, had named Rane
and few other ministers, while pegging the illegal mining in
Goa at Rs 25,000 crore.
Rane said he stands by legal mining in Goa as several
thousand people were dependent on it. "I do not support
illegal mining activity," he said, claiming that he had been
communicating with the Centre, seeking to stop illegal extraction of iron ore.
Justice M B Shah Commission`s report should be awaited
before pointing fingers, Rane said. The commission had been
probing the illegal mining.
Goa exported 54 million metric tones of ore during last
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report