Goa: Sub-Inspector booked for extortion
Panaji: A police sub inspector here has been
booked for extortion and corruption for allegedly demanding
bribe from the parents of a group of youths whose friend
drowned in the sea during a picnic, a senior police official
said on Tuesday.
One youth had drowned off the Cabo da Rama beach, 80 kms
south of Panaji, while another is still missing since Sunday.
Sub-Inspector Prasanna Bhagat had demanded Rs 25,000 each
from the parents of the surviving youths, threatening them to
file an attempt to murder case against their children.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Umesh Gaonkar stated that
the case of extortion and corruption has been filed against
Bhagat, who is currently under suspension.
Parents of one of the youths told investigating officer
Inspector Nelson Albuquerque that they had paid Rs 25,000 to
Bhagat after he constantly threatened them.
The parents had sought the help of state panchayat
minister Manohar Asgaonkar about Bhagat`s demand. Asgaonkar
reportedly spoke to Chief Minister Digambar Kamat over the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa