Goa`s iron ore continues crossing borders
Panaji: Goa`s mining industry, in the last six months, has reported almost 10 percent of its Iron ore being exported under doubtful circumstances despite being under strict surveillance for illegal mining activities.
Records indicate that between April-November, 2011, total 24 million metric tonnes (MMT) Iron Ore was exported from both the ports in Goa Panaji port and Mormugao Port Trust (MPT).
Of the entire export, only 21 MMT was registered with the
Goa Mineral Ore Exporters Association (GMOEA) and the rest
remains unclassified, GMOEA Secretary Glenn Kalavampara said.
GMOEA is a body of exporters in the state, which has
biggest miners as its members.
Now suspicion shrouds 3 MMT of Iron Ore, which was
exported by small time traders, usually termed as fly-by-night
Goa witnessed unprecendented regulatory measures by the
state government after Justice M B Shah Commission began its
probe into illegal mining activities.
Around 400-odd traders, who were linkages between
exporters and mine owners, were summoned by State Mines and
Geology department following which it was found that many of
these operators worked with fake addresses.
Goa government also tightened noose around the ports
after it was revealed that of the total 54 million metric
tonnes ore sent through Goa ports, around 7 MMT was
The situation was expected to be improving this
financial year after much discussion on the unclassified ore
but it remained the same.
The ore which is not registered with GMOEA has a
question-mark on its source, which means that there is a
possibility that it could have been extracted illegally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence