Goa’s Playboy Club on authorities radar
Panaji: The authorities in Goa on Friday claimed that they would shut down the Playboy Club scheduled to be opened in the state next month if it is found to be indulging in obscenity, vulgarity or nudity.
The local franchisee of the Playboy Club yesterday announced its plans to open India`s first club at Candolim in Goa. This would be first among its chain of 100 clubs the local franchisee intends to open in the next ten years.
Director of Tourism Nikhil Desai said he has no idea about the club, although the application may have been processed by the department. "They might have applied under some other name and may brand it as Playboy Club," he said.
Desai warned that the club would be asked to shut down if it is found to be indulged in obscenity, vulgarity or nudity. "We don’t mind if club runs provided they abide by all laws of the land," he added.
The tourism department will immediately withdraw the permission, if they are found flouting rules, Desai said, adding that such a withdrawal by the tourism department would also make all other permissions granted to the club null and void.
While government authorities want to monitor what happens inside the club, a local women`s organisation today said that such a club was "not wanted in the state". Auda Viegas, chief of Bailancho Ekvott, a leading women`s organisation, said that the police and the government has no mechanism to keep a tab on what could happen inside the club.
"Goa`s latest aim is to invite all things which are anti-social and bad for society. This club is banned everywhere. What system do we have in place to check what`s going on inside the club? We have not been able to check places like dance bars, pubs, events organised by outsiders in Goa where women are trafficked. It`s not a fair that Playboy Club is allowed in Goa," Viegas added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report