Margao blast accused allege Goa Minister fabricated evidence
Panaji: Four accused in Margao bomb blast case have alleged that Goa Home Minister Ravi Naik was
involved in fabricating and manipulating evidence in collusion
with police in the case and have sought a speedy trial.
In an application moved before the district and
sessions court on Thursday, Sanjiv Punalkar, the lawyer
representing the four accused, said they would be producing
evidence and witnesses to prove the allegations against Naik.
When contacted, Naik said that he will not comment on
the issue as the matter is sub-judice.
Claiming that they had evidence to prove "personal
involvement of Naik in fabricating and manipulating evidence
in collusion with officials of Ponda Police Station", Punalkar
said that any delay in the trial may hamper their attempt to
expose the alleged involvement of the minister.
The four accused-- ---Vinayak Patil, Vinay Talekar,
Dhananjay Ashtekar and Dilip Mangaonkar-- have moved the
application for speedy trial under NIA Act.
The application said the NIA Act, 2008 made it
mandatory for the trial to be conducted in a special court
when an agency probed any scheduled offence.
The lawyer said the accused are ready for daily trial
"It becomes necessary, mandatory and obligatory that
the court shall hold trial on day-to-day basis on all working
days," the application said.
Punalkar said that the accused had no objection to
district and sessions court hearing the case in absence of a
special court. "We hope that the judge will grant day-to-day
hearing," he said.
Six persons, all affiliated to Sanatan Sanstha, were
arrested following a blast in Margao on Diwali eve in 2009.
The National Investigating Agency (NIA) has filed
charge sheet against twelve accused in the case, of which four
are still on the run. Two of the accused were killed in the
The application will be taken up by the court on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users