‘Mine owners should pay for affected people’
Panaji: Goa Congress on Friday said mine owners should be made to pay to ease the sufferings of people affected due to mining halt in the state.
Whatever money has been "looted" by the mine owners should be recovered from them and given back to the people affected with the current halt of the mining industry, Goa Congress unit working president Francisco Sardinha told reporters.
Justice M B Shah commission in its report on the illegal iron ore mining in the state had pointed out that mine owners had illegally extracted ore worth Rs 35,000 crore.
Sardinha said after recovery the money should be judiciously put into welfare of the people dependent on mining industry and those areas affected by the industry.
"The money should not go into someone`s pocket," the Congress leader said.
He also said Congress is ready for an all-party meeting to discuss the crucial issue.
"If Chief Minister (Manohar Parrikar) takes the initiative then the Congress is ready to join hands with him (to work out a solution)," Sardinha said.
Sardinha, who is also a Member of Parliament, stated that he will take up the issue of lifting the abeyance imposed on the environmental clearances (EC) given to the mining leases.
The MoEF kept in abeyance ECs of all the mining companies, after Shah commission pointed out that the ECs were granted as a favour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked