‘Mine owners should pay for affected people’
Panaji: Goa Congress on Friday said mine owners should be made to pay to ease the sufferings of people affected due to mining halt in the state.
Whatever money has been "looted" by the mine owners should be recovered from them and given back to the people affected with the current halt of the mining industry, Goa Congress unit working president Francisco Sardinha told reporters.
Justice M B Shah commission in its report on the illegal iron ore mining in the state had pointed out that mine owners had illegally extracted ore worth Rs 35,000 crore.
Sardinha said after recovery the money should be judiciously put into welfare of the people dependent on mining industry and those areas affected by the industry.
"The money should not go into someone`s pocket," the Congress leader said.
He also said Congress is ready for an all-party meeting to discuss the crucial issue.
"If Chief Minister (Manohar Parrikar) takes the initiative then the Congress is ready to join hands with him (to work out a solution)," Sardinha said.
Sardinha, who is also a Member of Parliament, stated that he will take up the issue of lifting the abeyance imposed on the environmental clearances (EC) given to the mining leases.
The MoEF kept in abeyance ECs of all the mining companies, after Shah commission pointed out that the ECs were granted as a favour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?