Mining firms encroaching on government land: Kamat
Panaji: Top mining companies, including the Vedanta Resources-owned Sesa Goa private limited (SGPL), have dumped their rejected ore on government land, Chief Minister Digambar Kamat has told the Goa Assembly.
In a written reply Tuesday, Kamat, also the minister for mines, said in 40 instances, government-owned land has been encroached on by the firms for dumping mining reject -- mainly poor grade ore that cannot be exported.
He said in 11 of 40 instances SGPL, a subsidiary of Vedanta Resources, had encroached on government land measuring 7,63,250 sq mts land for dumping of ore in areas like Pissurlem, Vaghure, Sonus Ovaliem, Cudnem -- all part of Goa`s mining belt.
Kamat said in all the instances of encroachment a, "hearing is going on with the deputy collector", who is the appropriate authority for such offences.
In a written reply to another question related to mining, Kamat said 93 new applications had been received by the state government for starting new mines in different parts of the state.
Several Mumbai, Gujarat and Karnataka-based mining firms have filed applications for the mining leases, which include Ashapura Minechem Limited (Mumbai), Iva Mines and Marines, Miloni Shah (both Jamnagar, Gujarat), MSPL Ltd (Bellary, Karnataka).
Two senior Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leaders from Goa, party national secretary Jitendra Deshprabhu and the party`s Goa co-ordinator Prafulla Hede, have also applied for new mining leases.
Kamat has said that all the 93 applications were "held in abeyance" in view of assurance given to the house that no new mining leases would be opened up until a mining policy was formed by the state government.
There are nearly 100 operational open cast iron and manganese ore mines in Goa, which contribute to 18.82 percent of the state`s GDP. The state earned Rs.287 crore from mining-related royalty in the last financial year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand