PAC suggests probe into role of of ports, Customs
Panaji: Goa Legislative Assembly-constituted
Public Accounts Committee (PAC) report on illegal mining is
learnt to have recommended that the role of ports and Central
Excise and Customs be probed in wake of the illegal ore
exports from the coastal state.
According to sources, the report, which was handed over
to Speaker of Legislative Assembly Pratapsingh Rane today
during the session, said that the role of Mormugao Port Trust
(MPT), port authorities at Panaji port and Customs also needs
to be investigated in view of huge quantities of export that
were been permitted without documents, to prove the source and
legality of the ore.
The state government fighting back to control the export
of ore illegally from the state had made mandatory to get `No
Objection Certificate`(NOC) from the State Mines and Geology
department before the consignment is dispatched abroad.
While Panaji Port had immediately implemented the
government guidelines in November last year, the MPT had
delayed in implementing it as late as January, 2011.
The PAC report has said that of the total 54 million
metric tonnes of ore exported during financial year 2010-11,
almost 5.5 million metric tonnes was sent illegally by evading
Sources said the report has said that of the total ore
exported almost 18-20 million metric tones has been illegally
extracted without proper licences.
The PAC, chaired by Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar
has also recommended that the administrative set up of
Directorate of Mines and Geology needs to be strengthened
immediately by appointing, on deputation, senior officers in
the department to increase its strength and improve its
functioning, they said.
The Committee, it is learnt, has established that lack of
proper records in all probability is done to allow illegal
mining go unchecked.
Sources stated that a detailed external audit is
required to find out the exact data about illegalities as the
figure that were submitted to committee were modified time and
The report has already run into controversy before it was
tabled after ruling party members on the committee refused to
sign the document.
Parrikar said he has already submitted the report to the
Speaker and it is for him to decide on it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015