Probe into October blast in Goa given to NIA
New Delhi: The probe into the blast in Goa,
which was triggered in October, has been handed over to the
National Investigation Agency for a thorough enquiry as it was
emerging that links to the crime, alleged to have been carried
out by Hindu extremists, were found in other states as well.
The Goa Government issued a notification to the Centre
recently after which the NIA, formed in the aftermath of 26/11
Mumbai attacks, was asked to initiate a probe into the bomb
blast at Margo that killed two persons on October 16 this
After registering the case, the NIA formed a team and
dispatched them to take over the details of the case from Goa
Police, official sources said.
Sources said it has become necessary to investigate the
case of the Margao blast by the NIA as a right-wing Hindu
group Sanatan Sanstha was allegedly involved in the explosion.
This is the first ever case related to a Hindu group
that has been handed over to NIA. Earlier, Nanded blasts of
2004 had been handed over to the CBI.
The Sanstha, which is now headquartered in the temple
town of Ramnathi in the Ponda region of Goa, has members and
associates in several states.
"Investigations have hinted that Sanatan Sanstha had
its base in Maharashtra before being shifted to Goa," the
source said. The Sanstha has denied its involvement in the
The dead -- Melgunda Patil and Yogesh Naik -- were
members of the Sanstha, which is believed to have links with
Malegaon blast case accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur.
The Goa Police` Special Investigation Team, which is
probing the case, has conducted searches at several places
across Goa. So far four persons, all related to the Sanstha,
were arrested and booked for hatching a serial bomb blast
conspiracy in the state.
The blast took place near the Grace Church in Margo,
where some effigies of Narkasur, a mythical demon, were
symbolically burnt to celebrate the victory of good over
evil on the eve of Diwali.
The Goa Police has already sent a report to the Centre
giving details of the probe conducted so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- 54 ISIS supporters arrested: Governmnet
- Kumar Sangakkara backs Muttiah Muralitharan, slams Sri Lanka Cricket for lashing out at off-spinner
- Michelle brings Democrats to tears in moving convention speech
- Cadaver donation takes place for third day in a row in Mumbai
- China says Oli's fall will not change ties with Nepal