Amit Shah tried to threaten witnesses: CBI
Ahmedabad: After the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case was transferred to CBI by the Supreme Court, Gujarat Minister of State for Home Amit Shah, along with two
other accused, tried to hamper probe and threaten witnesses, the investigating agency has said.
Shah directed Ajay Patel and Yashpal Chudasama, his close confidants and accused, to "convince, coerce, threaten and influence the witnesses on his behalf to conceal the truth
from CBI about the fake encounter of Sohrabuddin", according to the chargesheet filed by the agency in a court here yesterday.
The 2005 encounter case was transferred to the central agency in January this year.
Investigations revealed that Ajay Patel conveyed a message to two witnesses, Raman Patel and Dashrat Patel, that what they say before CBI would be provided to them in the form of written statements by DCP Abhay Chudasama, who is also an accused, it said.
Both witnesses had four meetings with middlemen sent by Shah at separate places. These meetings were videographed by the two witnesses in a discreet manner. This audio-visual
recording has been seized by the CBI.
"The transcription of the these meetings revealed obstruction and influencing of the witnesses by Shah and Abhay Chudasama," the chargesheet said.
The CBI document further said that audio-visual records indicated how the witnesses retracted their statements at the instance of Shah, who resigned from the Gujarat Ministry this morning, and Abhay.
"The audio-visual records indicate that Ajay Patel and Yashpal had actively participated in the main conspiracy and the crime committed in furtherance to the conspiracy," the
Raman Patel and Dashrat Patel are owners of real estate firm Popular Builders. Gujarat Police had stage managed a shootout in the company`s office in December 2004 for the
purpose of lodging an FIR against Sheikh, it said.
The chargesheet said that complaint was filed against Sheikh at the behest of Shah who was under pressure from the marble lobby in neighbouring Rajasthan. Marble merchants
were being harassed by Sheikh, who made frequent demands for hefty protection money.
"Elimination of Sohrabuddin was being used for extortion by the accused to establish an element of fear in the minds of businessmen and others," it said.
While Sheikh and his wife Kausarbi were in illegal custody of Gujarat Police, IPS officer DG Vanzara was in constant touch over telephone with Shah and was continuously seeking instructions, it said.
Instructions for killing Kausarbi were also given by the BJP leader to Vanzara, who is among four IPS officers arrested in the case, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow