Asaram moves Gandhinagar court for regular bail
Ahmedabad: Self-styled godman Asaram has moved a Gujarat court for bail on grounds of delay in filing of FIR in connection with the sexual assault case lodged by two Surat-based sisters against him and son Narayan Sai.
"We have moved the sessions court in Gandhinagar for regular bail. The matter may come up for hearing today," Asaram`s counsel B M Gupta said.
Gupta further said the complaint against Asaram was "concocted" and the allegations levelled against him are "false".
Asaram was brought to the city last week on a transit remand from Jodhpur. Thereafter, the 72-year-old was quizzed extensively by Ahmedabad Police during the seven-day remand granted by a Magisterial Court in Gandhinagar. He was taken back to Jodhpur yesterday.
A Special Investigation Team (SIT) of Ahmedabad police is probing the sexual assault case filed against Asaram.
The elder of the two sisters had accused Asaram of sexually assaulting her between 1997 and 2006 when she had been living in his ashram on the outskirts of Ahmedabad.
The younger one had filed a complaint against Sai, who is absconding, accusing him of repeated sexual assault between 2002 and 2005 when she was living in Surat ashram.
Asaram and his son have also moved petitions in High Court seeking quashing of the FIRs registered against them. Arguments for quashing the FIR got over yesterday with the court reserving its order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened