Bribery case: Govt to decide on action against minister
Ahmedabad: The state government on Thursday assured
the Gujarat High Court that it would decide in two months on
an application seeking action against Fisheries and Port
Minister Purshottam Solanki for alleged corruption in awarding
Justice A S Dave hearing the petition of one Ishaq
Maradia recorded the statement of additional advocate general
Tushar Mehta and disposed of the petition.
Mehta told the court that the chief secretary would take
decision on Maradia`s application within two months and decide
whether any action needs to be taken against Solanki under the
Prevention of Corruption Act.
Maradia had filed the petition in January seeking
directions from the court for the government to take action
against Solanki for allegedly taking huge bribes in awarding
fishing contracts which has led to Rs 600 crore loss to the
He had approached the High Court after the government
did not respond to his application in December 2009 to the
Chief Secretary requesting CBI inquiry against Solanki.
Maradia had contended that government was not discharging
its statutory duty by denying permission for action against
Solanki under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed