Chargesheet against Bhatt over false affidavit
Ahmedabad: A chargesheet has been filed
against suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt in the case where
he has been accused of threatening a police constable,
confining him wrongfully, and making him sign a false
The chargesheet against Bhatt and his lawyer, advocate V
H Kanara was filed yesterday in the sessions court here by
the Ghatlodia police.
Bhatt was arrested on September 30 last year following
the complaint filed by constable K D Pant. Local court granted
him bail on October 17.
The affidavit in question sought to establish Bhatt`s
presence at the February 27, 2002 meeting called by Gujarat
Chief Minister Narendra Modi after the Godhra train burning
incident. Bhatt had alleged that Modi, at this meeting, asked
the police to give the anti-Muslim rioters a free hand.
According to Pant, Bhatt made him sign the affidavit, for
submitting it to Raju Ramchandran, the Supreme Court-appointed
amicus curie (friend of court) in the 2002 riot cases.
According to the chargesheet, Bhatt has been charged
under IPC sections 341 (wrongful restraint), 342 (causing
wrongful confinement), 195 (giving fabricated evidence) and
189 (threatening a public servant). Kanara, who had prepared
the affidavits and figures as co-accused in the case, has
obtained anticipatory bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what